...and the dream goes on...

...and the dream goes on...

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Final thoughts...before the big day

I know… I know… I just finished moaning about people continuously re-hashing about this weekend’s upcoming draft, but having said that, if I gave you the choice between drafting Dale Hawerchuk, Bryan Trottier or a defenseman that defies all comparisons, who would YOU choose.

I do not believe that an Islanders fan alive would choose any-other player over Brian Trottier.

Well, on my way into work this morning I was listening to TSN’s Pierre Mcguire on the radio and the hosts of the Ottawa morning show asked him to compare Tavares, Hedman and Duchenes to players gone by and to my surprise, he did just that.

Good old Pierre started off by stating that Tavares is very NHL ready and if he were the New York Islander’s GM, he would draft Tavares in a second, quoting marketing, promotional, and all his qualities….hmmm…sounds familiar. What surprised me was that he compared Tavares’ skill set to that of Hall of Famer, Dale Hawerchuk.

He had difficulty comparing Hedman to any previous defenseman. According to the hockey expert, the young D-man’s skill set is unique (size, speed, mobility…) and could not find anyone to compare him to….interesting!?!?!
When it came time to compare Duchene’s skill set, Pierre Mcguire's take was that the closest player to Duchene was none other than Brian Trottier. As per the TV personality, the young man’s all around game, energy and vision is quite comparable with one major difference-Duchene is a better skater than Trottier ever was.

Now tell me again, who would you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment