...and the dream goes on...

...and the dream goes on...

Monday, July 6, 2009

Thoughts on a cloudy Monday…

Here we are, six days into free agent frenzy, not a speck of sunshine and I am sitting at work with no vacation in sight.

I always love to see how many GM’s seemingly go loopy during the first few days of July but having sat back over the past week to look at the overall landscape, I can say that I am truly impressed at the number that have not gone stark raving. Of course there will always be a few head scratchers, but there just seems to be a lot less of it going around this July.

Can it be that some teams are actually starting to learn from their past mistakes?!??! Hmmm...then again when I think of the Gaborik and Havlat signings, some teams still have lots to learn.

I have also kept an eye (as most of you have) on the cast of characters still out there as the Islanders in July are my favourite Soap Opera to watch. I can honestly say that thus far, I have been surprised; not with the lack of movement by the New York Islanders, but by the lack in depth of players available out there. If one takes a look at the amount of players still available to your friendly neighbourhood franchise, one will find quantity, but not necessarily quality.

I still feel that Snow should sign at least 1 D-man and a bruising forward, but I am no longer convinced that he will do so. It is looking more and more like he is biding his time, patiently putting the pieces together, knowing this season will be another struggle on the ice. I can’t help but wonder if his patience has to do with giving the kids more room to grow, or positioning the Islanders for the 2010-2011 season. It is widely expected that the Salary Cap will drop significantly for that season and the Isles with a very low payroll and plenty of wholes to fill would be in a perfect position to add the necessary pieces to the puzzle of success. With so many teams looking like they might be in a salary bind … I wonder?

Patience may be a virtue, but I will be curious to see just how patient Long Islanders will be with the 2009-2010 roster that will be long on youthful enthusiasm and short on grit. There is still time for our GM to sign the likes of Beauchemin, and Tanguay, or a diamond in the rough but the summer is short and I for one am not holding my breath, I just do not have that kind of lung capacity and blue is not my color.

Tomorrow, I will share my thoughts on what the Tavares Press Conference means to all in Isles Nation…stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment